- We are now located at 917 North Shore Drive in Lake Bluff, IL.
- As of October 15, 2015, we have new requirements for volunteers under the age of 18.
Our mission is impossible without the help and dedication of many! We value your time: When you volunteer for Bernie’s Book Bank, it is our goal to ensure that you receive much MORE than you give.
- We welcome volunteers of all ages and abilities.
- While the processing center is heated and cooled, it is still a warehouse type setting. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Also, comfortable closed toe shoes are highly recommended.
- Individuals or individual families are welcome to join us at any of the following drop-in volunteer times shown below.
- If you have a group of eight (8) or more, we ask that you kindly call or email us to schedule a special session.
DROP IN VOLUNTEER HOURS
Drop in means you come and leave when you want during drop in volunteer hours. There’s no need to call ahead – just come:
Mondays: 3:30 p.m. -5:30 p.m.
Tuesdays: 9:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.* SATURDAY MORNING VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP: Please click here to reserve a volunteer spot for any available Saturday morning.
DROP IN VOLUNTEERS UNDER AGE 18:
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a supervising adult, parent or guardian. Volunteers who are 16 or 17 may volunteer alone, with a signed Volunteer/Parental Consent Form, every time they volunteer. Click here to print a Volunteer/Parental Consent Form
- Volunteers under the age of 18 accompanied by an adult other than their parent or legal guardian, must have a signed Volunteer/Parental Consent Form upon arrival. Click here to print a Volunteer/Parental Consent Form
FOR GROUPS OF 8 OR MORE VOLUNTEERS, PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL TO SCHEDULE A SPECIAL SESSION.
Groups can be scheduled for 2 hour sessions during the following time slots:
Mondays: 9:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Tuesdays: 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.
Wednesdays: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Fridays: 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays: 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m, 2:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.|
GROUP VOLUNTEERS UNDER AGE 18:
- Groups with volunteers under the age of 16 will be required to have a ratio of 1 adult for every 4 volunteers under the age of 16.
- Each volunteer in your group under the age of 18 needs to have a signed Volunteer/Parental Consent Form upon arrival.
Click here to print a Volunteer/Parental Consent Form or send as a pdf to your group members to be completed and presented upon arrival.
We strive to meet your scheduling needs. Have a few dates and times in mind and send an email to: [email protected] or call 847-780-READ (7323).
Collecting books is fun. So is volunteering in our warehouse!
Bernie’s Book Bank relies on hundreds of volunteers to sort, sticker and bag collections of books for at-risk children. It’s fun, easy, not messy or physically taxing, and very rewarding.
We encourage groups of any size to spend their community service hours sorting and bagging books for us. Each week, we host large groups from businesses, religious and civic organizations, and kids organizations (Scouts, sports teams, confirmation classes, college clubs, etc.) We will be happy to set up a special volunteer opportunity for groups of eight or more by appointment. Send an email to [email protected] or call 847-780-READ (7323).
We also offer corporations and businesses the opportunity to host teambuilding activities in the warehouse. Click here to learn more about having a Corporate Engagement Teambuilding Event at Bernie’s Book Bank.
Bernie’s Book Bank is conveniently located in the upper west corner of Lake Forest, near the intersections of Rte. 176 and 294.
Our address is:
Bernie’s Book Bank Processing Center
917 North Shore Drive.
Lake Bluff, IL 60044