Please note the following drop-in sessions have been cancelled to accommodate the Citadel Blanche Fundraiser:
7/16: All sessions
Volunteer at Bernie’s Book Bank
Our mission is possible because of the help and dedication of many! We value your time: When you volunteer for Bernie’s Book Bank, it is our goal to ensure that you receive much MORE than you give. We encourage groups of any size to spend their community service hours sorting and bagging books for us. Each week, we host large groups from businesses, religious and civic organizations, and children’s organizations (Scouts, sports teams, confirmation classes, college clubs, etc.)
- We welcome volunteers of all ages and abilities.
- While the processing center is heated and cooled, it is still a warehouse type setting. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Also, comfortable closed toe shoes are highly recommended.
- Individuals or individual families are welcome to join us at any of the following drop-in volunteer times shown below.
- If you have a group of eight (8) or more, we ask that you kindly call or email us to schedule a special session.
Drop-in / Small Group Volunteer Hours
- For groups of 8 or fewer volunteers only
- Please arrive at the beginning of the session.
- No advance reservation necessary except for Saturday morning
Mondays: 3:30 p.m. -5:30 p.m.
Tuesdays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Wednesdays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.* Please click here to reserve a volunteer spot for any available Saturday morning.
Group (8 or more) Volunteer Hours
- For groups of 8 or more volunteers
- Must be reserved. Please see contact information below.
Mondays: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Tuesdays: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Wednesdays: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Fridays: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays: 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Under 18 Volunteer Policies
Rules for volunteers under 16 years of age:
- There must be one adult present for the entire session for every four children under the age of 16
- All volunteers under age 16 who are volunteering with an adult other than their parent / legal guardian must have a signed copy of Volunteer/Parental Consent Form each time they volunteer, available here: Parental/Legal Guardian Consent Form
Rules for volunteers age 16-17:
- 16-17 year old volunteers may volunteer without a parent / legal guardian present only if they have a signed copy of Volunteer/Parental Consent Form each time they volunteer, available here: Parental/Legal Guardian Consent Form
Court Mandated Community Service
All court mandated community service hours must be approved by Processing and Volunteer Supervisor prior to volunteering.
We strive to meet your scheduling needs. Please send a few preferred dates to: [email protected] or call 847-780-READ (7323).
We also offer corporations and businesses the opportunity to host teambuilding activities in the warehouse. Click here to learn more about having a Corporate Engagement Teambuilding Event at Bernie’s Book Bank.
Bernie’s Book Bank is conveniently located in the upper west corner of Lake Forest, near the intersections of Rte. 176 and Waukegan Rd.
Bernie’s Book Bank Processing Center
917 North Shore Drive.
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Please contact Andy Donovan, Processing and Volunteer Supervisor: [email protected] or 847-780-READ (7323).